Yesterday, Wellington Mahohoma made his birthday goal a success through the 25 km charity walk that sought to raise awareness on the need for improved access to sanitary pads, for the girl child.
Factors influencing the charity walk and the submission of a petition to the Parliament of Zimbabwe:
– Usage of unhygienic products during menstruation which expose girls to health complications such as cervical cancer,
– The current cost of sanitary wear,
– Encouragement through ratification of the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) (1979),
– Learning from African countries (South Africa, Botswana, Kenya) who have enacted laws aimed at improving the girl child’s access to sanitary health and hygiene through the provision of free sanitary wear and facilities in public schools and institutions,
– Calling on the Ministry of Primary and Secondary education to provide access to free sanitary wear.
860 total views, 2 views today