Two common ways you can use to treat contaminated water at household level

In our different localities, there are times when we are not sure of the running water from our taps as to whether it is safe for drinking or not. It is common knowledge that one cannot determine the quality of water by merely looking at it, but it is always wise to take caution when suspecting the water is not safe for drinking or there are cases within your locality of people suffering from gastro-intestinal illnesses. This is so because drinking water sources are subject to contamination and require appropriate treatment to remove disease-causing agents. This article shares some of the ways in which one can treat water at the household level to make it safe for drinking.


This stands as the most common and safest way of purifying water at home to kill disease-causing organisms, including viruses, bacteria, and parasites. How does it happen? Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, whereas most microorganisms cannot survive in water above 71 degrees Celsius for more than 30 minutes. This method is a good starting point for getting rid of disease-causing organisms in water. After boiling your water, let it cool then drink it, though there are some that prefer drinking it warm, which is even better and has some benefits. Boiled water should be stored in a clean container with a tight cover!


In cases where you cannot boil your drinking water, you can use chemical disinfectants such as unscented household chlorine bleach. The most common one in Zimbabwe is the water guard. This one is a dilute sodium hypochlorite solution used as a point of use treatment for household drinking water. It also works to kill parasites, bacteria, and viruses in drinking water. As a result, the water is safe to drink.


43 total views, 1 views today

Leave a Reply